Click this messge to hide it.
- Western Red Cedar frame (a managed and replanted natural resource)
- All timber used in the construction of this greenhouse originates from sustainable forests
- 10 year frame guarantee
- Traditional appearance with steep Victorian style 45 degrees roof pitch
- All timber is treated by total immersion in a high quality preservative which is colourless to enhance the natural beauty of the wood
- Grey powder coated aluminium base plinth (makes greenhouse installation easy)
- Heavy duty ex 2"x2" and 2"x3" cedar framing (finished sizes 45mm x 45mm and 45mm x 70mm)
- Strong frame requires no diagonal braces
- Morticed and tenoned frame joints
- Morticed and tenoned doors and vents
- Toughened safety glass
- Puttyless glazing with substantial external capping screwed in to ensure the glass is tight fitting
- Grey powder coated aluminium gutter with a downpipe to each side
- Black round PVC downpipes and stopends
- Durable aluminium retaining clips ensure that the roof glass is retained securely at the eaves
- The glass overhangs into the gutter to ensure that the cedar framing is not exposed at the eaves
- The glass overhangs the base all round to ensure that the cedar framing is not exposed at low level
- Stainless steel fixing screws
- Aluminium base fixing bolts
- Aluminium ridge end cap
- Roof vents are fitted as standard with automatic openers which react to heat to ensure that in hot weather the window ventilates in your absence
- 1 free roof vent and 1 low level louvre vent included with 10'9"x6'5" greenhouse
- 2 free roof vents and 1 low level louvre vent included with 10'9"x8'5" greenhouse
- 3 free roof vents and 2 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x10'6" greenhouse
- 4 free roof vents and 2 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x12'7" greenhouse
- 3 free roof vents and 3 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x14'8" greenhouse
- 4 free roof vents and 3 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x16'8" greenhouse
- 5 free roof vents and 4 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x18'9" greenhouse
- 6 free roof vents and 4 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x20'10" greenhouse
- 5 free roof vents and 5 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x22'11" greenhouse
- 6 free roof vents and 5 low level louvre vents included with 10'9"x24'11" greenhouse
- Half boarded single hinged door with stainless hinges and key lock
- Inward opening door
- Low threshold doorway for easy access
- Grey powder coated aluminium door threshold
- No door timber in contact with the ground
- Decorative grey powder coated aluminium spandrels at the ridge and eaves
- Decorative apex finials
- Eaves height 5'7" (1708mm) including base plinth
- Ridge height 11'1" (3384mm) including base plinth
- Door height 6'7" (2012mm)
- Door width 2'5" (743mm)
THIS ALTON EVOLUTION VICTORIAN GREENHOUSE: Alton greenhouses have been a traditional favourite with UK gardeners for many years. In 2013 this wonderful range was thoroughly reviewed and modernised. The result is stronger and longer lasting greenhouses with a more sophisticated dry glazing system, improved door performance and more controllable ventilation. At the same time the natural beauty of the high grade cedar has been improved with thicker and stronger framing with less bracing and a modern colourless finish. Behind the striking new look most of the popular old features have been retained including toughened safety glass as standard, no overlapping glass and low threshold doors. Some of the old features have been significantly enhanced especially the gutters, the staging, the shelving and the low level ventilation. The result is an even better range of greenhouses which evolved from the old market leader, hence the new models are known as the Alton Evolution.
HYBRID ALUMINIUM AND CEDAR CONSTRUCTION: This modern hybrid greenhouse combines the warmth and beauty of cedar with the rigidity and durability of extruded aluminium. Intelligent use of aluminium protects the timber and prolong its life. The base plinth and the door threshold are aluminium which ensures no direct contact between any timber and the ground. Almost all of the cedar framing is enclosed and internal which ensures lasting strength and good looks. The aluminium components are powder coated in a shade of grey which compliments the cedar when new and as it fades.
HEAVY DUTY CEDAR FRAME: The cedar frame features substantial ex 2"x2" (45x45mm) and ex 3"x2" (70x45mm) timber which requires no additional bracing. The design combines traditional joinery features such as morticed and tenoned joints with modern production techniques to ensure great strength and fast installation. All cedar is treated with a colourless preservative which provides a waterproof seal without hiding the beautiful natural colour of the cedar. Rounded edges enhance the soft natural feel of the wood.
DURABLE ALUMINIUM COMPONENTS: Most of the aluminium components are used in the parts of the greenhouse which are the wettest. This includes the base, the door threshold and the gutters. In addition, extruded aluminium provides better performance and durability for moving parts such as the door runners, the roof vent hinge mechanism and the louvre vent mechanism. The aluminium components are powder coated in a shade of grey which has been chosen to complement the appearance of cedar when it is new but also as it fades to a silvery grey colour.
WESTERN RED CEDAR: Western Red Cedar is a naturally resilient timber which lasts longer than pine and other softwoods, even if never treated from new. It has been widely used in construction for over a century. During this time cedar has deservedly earned an unrivalled reputation for its attractive appearance and extraordinary durability. It is the ideal choice for people who are too busy to maintain their garden building. This oily timber has a strong but pleasant aroma which repells insects. Cedar contains hardly any knots. If untreated it will fade to a silvery grey colour. Western Red Cedar is a sustainable resource from the well managed forests of North America.
POWDER COATED ALUMINIUM: The powder coated finish is more attractive than the stark silver finish aluminium greenhouses. The tough finish also has excellent weathering properties and retains its gloss and colour superbly. A good example of powder coating is the finish on your washing machine. Powder coated aluminium greenhouses have a similar finish.
TOUGHENED GLASS: Toughened glass is the best glazing material for use in greenhouses. It is around 6 times stronger than normal glass so it is less likely to break and when it does break toughened glass breaks into harmless small pieces. This makes toughened glass the best option for all the family including children, pets and the elderly. Toughened glass also strengthens the frame and it is heavy which helps to resist wind. Although size limits apply, toughened glass panes are longer than horticultural glass, with no overlapping glass and fewer joins. Where required, joins are neat in-line H-profile joins. Greenhouse glass is subject to lower visual standards than other more expensive glass and may include blemishes or imperfections which do not adversely affect the performance.
BASE PLINTH: The base plinth makes installation much easier. It is designed to be a portable and prefabricated foundation beam. The plinth features a flat underside to spread the weight of the greenhouse over a larger area. The base plinth can be placed on any flat and level surface including soil, gravel, decking, concrete or paving slabs. It is best to prepare a perimeter footing of concrete or paving slabs for the base plinth to stand on. However, with care the base plinth can be placed on any surface including soil or gravel provided that the ground is flat and level.
GREENHOUSE LOCATION: Ideally your greenhouse should have a clear space at least 18" wide on all sides, if possible. This ensures easy access for both installation and future maintenance. In reality this is often not practical and at many sites it is not needed. A reduced clearance is often possible on one or two sides. You should cut back or remove any nearby shrubs and trees. Remember to allow for future growth. Ideally the ridge of a greenhouse should run from east to west. The best position for a freestanding greenhouse is a sunny spot outside the shadow of nearby buildings and trees. A sheltered position is best otherwise additional screening may be advisable. Plants need plenty of water so your greenhouse should be close to a water supply and the site should be well drained.
SIZES - LENGTH AND WIDTH: The sizes are listed alongside the price. The first dimension listed is the width and the second dimension is the length. The width refers to the angled gable walls at the front and rear including the door wall. The length refers to the side walls. The sizes listed are the external wall sizes. These sizes do not include the roof overhang. Many other suppliers quote the overall roof size which is much larger.